Thursday 8 July 2010

Highgate cemetery

Cemeteries are a wonderful way to explore the history and culture of a city, none more so than Highgate in north London (10-15 minute walk from Archway tube station).

Some people give me strange looks when I say that I enjoy wandering around cemeteries, I have no problem with that. It’s not for everyone. But I find them peaceful and hugely atmospheric places, photo opportunities abound and some of the tombs and headstones are spectacular.

Entrance is by guided tour only and mostly focuses on the more famous West Cemetery. This contains the famous Circle of Lebanon and Egyptian Avenue, as well as the grave of Karl Marx with the huge and very lifelike bust on the top!

Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris is a common tourist attraction, probably because of the people buried there. Highgate doesn’t yet seem to have that reputation, probably because it’s out of the way of London’s major sights.

If you have the time to spare, Google it or pay a visit.

South East Asia photos on my website, www.matthewt.co.uk

My blog - http://matthewted.blogspot.com

Free iPod, iPhone or Touch - http://67.220.209.137/~freeipod/?r=11454

No comments:

Post a Comment